Saturday 19 March 2011

Leeds Girls' High School - 'Development Opportunity'



A sign has finally gone up for the sale of the Elinor Lupton Centre building of the old Leeds Girls' High School in Headingley Lane. I spotted in when walking back from university so decided to have a wander around the building and take some snaps.

As you can see it is made in the same Portland Stone as the University of Leeds, popular for construction in this area in the 1920s and 1930s. It is a jurassic limestone and, interestingly, has tiny fossils in it if you looked closely.

According to this person who posted a photo on flickr, it is a grade 2 listed building and was purchased by the school in 1986 for £230,000:
Elinor Lupton Centre



I love this building and pass it every day on the way to and from university. I remember when I first came to Leeds (2005) it was still in use and drama performances were advertised on the board outside, in the same place as the 'for sale' board now appears. It would be lovely to see the building cared for again: some sand-blasting and graffiti removal.

The building is much bigger than it looks in my image. The Geograph link below shows a good image of the building and reflects its size much better.

There was a locked fence at the back and I managed to take this photo of this old sign through the railings:



Also, this detail I photogrpahed demonstrates the Greco-Roman influence in Art-Deco architecture of this period.



Related Links:

Leeds High School on Wikipedia
Elinor Lupton Centre on Geograph

4 comments:

  1. There was a rumour that it will be turned into a Wetherspoons pub.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lets hope not. I see this building when I pass by on the Bus. It's a beautiful gem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here is my idea that if I was rich ^^

    http://angel-fox-crescent.deviantart.com/#/d49rt1r

    ReplyDelete